Worker Center Organizer
Portland Jobs with Justice (JwJ) is seeking a full-time Worker Center Organizer to help our organization bring forward new forms of worker organizing in the Portland Metro area. Worker centers bring together workers to improve working conditions for individuals who might not have access to traditional union collective bargaining benefits.
About Portland Jobs with Justice
Portland JwJ is a growing 27 year-old coalition of over one hundred labor, community, faith, and student organizations – as well as thousands of activists – dedicated to building a powerful social justice movement for ALL working people in the Portland metro area. We have three staff currently and strive to maintain a positive, trusting, and open workplace.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Organizer, based in Portland is responsible for the following:
- Identify leaders and build their organizing and leadership skills.
- Activate leaders to commit to improving workplace standards and conditions
- Actively recruit new members, through outreach, one on one conversations, and connecting members to issues they care about in their workplace.
- Motivate and inspire workers to support the growth of the organization.
- Build and maintain deep relationships with members through organizing conversations and leadership development.
- Create regular oral and written reports about the organizing work.
- Develop materials as needed such as written materials, graphics, and social media posts.
- Systematically map priority workplaces using traditional Labor organizing methodologies including assessments, assignments, and leadership development.
Support Coalition Activities:
- Support grassroots fundraising efforts including fundraising events and donor outreach.
- Represent the coalition as needed at member organization or community events.
- Table, give presentations on the Worker Center and JwJ, give trainings as needed.
- Participate in actions and mobilizations as needed.
- Demonstrated commitment to an intersectional organizing approach; including social, racial, and economic justice, LGBTQ, immigrant, and disability rights.
- An understanding of social movements.
- Grassroots organizing and/or labor and worker organizing experience.
- Ability to be a self-starter, and to work independently toward agreed upon goals.
- A strong ability to motivate people, coordinate volunteer activity and delegate responsibility.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proven ability to work well as a team member, build relationships, and coordinate diverse groups.
- Demonstrated ability to fundraise.
- Willingness and ability to work irregular hours including occasional weekend and evening work.
- Proficient in computer skills, including database management, word processing and desktop publishing.
- Own or can acquire a vehicle available for work (mileage is reimbursed).
Additional desirable qualities (pluses but not requirements):
- Familiarity with organizing, bargaining, and contract campaigns
- Familiarity with corporate and local and/or statewide policy campaigns
- Familiarity with direct action organizing and coordination and/or arts and cultural organizing
- Organizing in immigrant communities
- The ability to speak a second language
- Experience with Action Network and Salesforce desirable
- Knowledge and/or experience with Jobs with Justice!
Compensation and Benefits: This is a full-time position, with a posted starting annual salary of $42,500. We offer health and dental insurance, three weeks’ vacation, paid holidays, and a 401k with employer contributions. This position is covered by a staff union.
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com as soon as possible, with priority going to applications received by August 15, 2019. Please send an email with “Worker Center Organizer” and your name in the Subject line. You will not be contacted unless you are chosen for an interview. Position open until filled.
People of color, women, LBGTQ people, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply