COVID-19 Organizing Response
Organizing with Food Service Workers in this Time of Crisis
Calling all Portland Food Service Workers!
We know food service workers are already experiencing huge stress because of shop closures and illness concerns! We are ramping up outreach efforts because we know folks need support, especially while social distancing.
We want to know what you need! Rent freeze? Paid family care/leave? What else?
Text “Community” to 503-782-6265 to get connected to these efforts!
¡Atención A Todos Los Trabajadores Del Servicio De Alimento En Portland!
¡Sabemos que los trabajadores del servicio de alimentos ya están sintiendo un gran estrés debido al cierre de tiendas y preocupaciones por enfermedades! Estamos aumentando alcanzar porque sabemos que la gente necesita apoyo, especialmente al distanciarse socialmente.
¡Queremos saber lo que necesitan! ¿Suspender los pagos de renta? ¿Permiso familiar/cuidado pagado? ¿Qué más necesitan?
¡Envie “Comunidad” al 503-782-6265 para conectarse a estas acciones!
Workers’ Rights and Power- The Essential Guide Training
New Training Dates Coming Soon!
Hosted by Northwest Workers’ Justice Project and Portland Jobs With Justice
Join legal experts and worker organizers for a training on your rights and strategies for organizing your coworkers for health, safety, and justice in the workplace. Webinar specifically designed for Portland area workers, including:
*Non Union Workers in “Essential” jobs
*Workers facing Health and Safety Issues at work in the COVID-19 crisis
*Workers with questions about fairness and justice at work
Non-union workers in “essential” or “front line” jobs are especially encouraged to join the training, but all workers are welcome!
RSVP at https://forms.gle/PBGKfbgmfPbDYmVT8
Derechos y Poder de Trabajadores: La Guía Esencial
Más fechas próximamente
Organizado por Northwest Workers’ Justice Project y Portland Jobs With Justice
Únase a expertos legales y organizadores de trabajadores para una capacitación sobre sus derechos y estrategias para organizar a sus compañeros de trabajo para la salud, la seguridad y la justicia en el lugar de trabajo. Seminario web diseñado específicamente para trabajadores del área de Portland, que incluye:
* Trabajadores no sindicales en trabajos “esenciales”
* Trabajadores que enfrentan problemas de salud y seguridad en el trabajo en la crisis de COVID-19
* Trabajadores con preguntas sobre justicia en el trabajo
Invitamos especialmente a los trabajadores en trabajos “esenciales” o “de primera línea” a la capacitación, ¡pero todos los trabajadores son bienvenidos!
RSVP en https://forms.gle/KZ6Vkt3Zo7QPpoD48
Recursos de COVID-19 en español y ingles
Gracias al Centro de Estudios de Genero y Refugiados de la Universidad de California, Hastings por la página de recursos.
Haga clic aquí para ver la página de recursos en español.
PDX COVID19 Mutual Aid Network
Do you need support? Are you immuno-compromised or have other needs and help finding and getting supplies? All we have is each other, and only we can save each other. The PDX COVID19 Mutual Aid Network is a collective of organizations connecting impacted community members with support. If you need support, Request support here.
Information on The Stimulus Package
Click Here to view a power point presentation with relevant information on the stimulus package that was recently pass by congress.
Haga clic aquí para ever el powerpoint del Paquete de Estímulo Por el Coronavirus en Español.
Action You Can Take Right Now!
Supporting the most vulnerable in our community
- Sign our petition urging Governor Brown to get Oregon hospitals, clinics, and healthcare employers to the bargaining table with #healthcareheroes! The Oregon Nurses Association in partnership with Portland Jobs with Justice, Oregon AFSCME, SEIU Local 49, and UFCW Local 555 launched a joint petition demanding healthcare employers #protectessentialworkers! ONA has fought for over a month in their struggle to secure life-saving COVID-19 collective bargaining agreements for nurses and healthcare workers across Oregon. By fighting together ONA nurses have achieved major victories, including winning COVID-19 agreements at OHSU and Providence. Still, there is work to be done in all facilities and there are dozens of Oregon healthcare employers failing to meet with or agree to critical pandemic protections for nurses and other healthcare workers!Act now to protect essential healthcare workers!
- Please consider contributing to this Emergency Solidarity Fund for Day Laborer Workers sponsored by the Voz Workers Rights Education Project.
- With your support, the Labor Community Services Agency can make a dent in the overwhelming need dislocated working families face. Your donations will provide housing & utility assistance, emergency childcare, food resources and more.
Click Here to donate today!
- Sign this important petition to demand hazard pay for postal service workers at USPS during the COVID-19 pandemic. They are putting their health and lives on the line to make sure the mail gets delivered. Let’s show them our support!
- Donate to Cosecha’s Undocumented Worker Fund during this critical time when it is more important than ever to show solidarity with undocumented workers who are vital to the health and success of our economy.
- Please donate to help workers at the Amazon’s DBK1 warehouse in Queens, New York, get food, rent, and other essentials until they can win quarantine pay after being exposed to COVID-19.
Policy Actions and Petitions
- Real student debt relief NOW! The CARES Act signed into law last month is a step in the right direction, but it does not go far enough. For some people, suspended payments will just kick the burden of student debt down the road. For millions of others, narrow loan requirements mean no economic assistance whatsoever. People across the country are frustrated that broad student debt cancellation was left out of the Coronavirus stimulus. Will you help ensure it is included in the next phase of relief? Tweet Congress here or send a letter here:
“I urge you to #CancelStudentDebt in the next #coronavirus package. A #StudentDebtStimulus will help the 45 million people with student debt and stimulate the economy when it is needed most.”
- Click Here to demand that governors investigate and close Amazon warehouses that are putting workers lives at risk by not taking proper health and safety precautions during this pandemic.
- Click Here to Take Action Now to demand Congress pass paid sick leave for ALL working people, especially especially low wage and domestic workers.
- Click Here to sign the Food Chain Workers Alliance petition with demands for protections for front line food chain workers!
- Take Action NOW! to support front line health care workers!
→ Dial (202) 335-6015 ← and call Congress, demanding that your representative vote YES on H.R. 6139, the COVID-19 Worker Protection Act of 2020! It is crucial that we take action to protect front line health care workers, patients, and the public during this COVID-19 crisis. This bill would direct OSHA to enact an Emergency Temporary Standard so that front line nurses and other health care workers have the personal protective equipment they need to care for their patients during this pandemic. If nurses become infected they won’t be there when you and your loved ones need them.
- Sign on to the NNU’s petition “Tell Congress: We demand nurses are protected during COVID-19.
- Oregon’s unions stand united in our call for the State of Oregon to use every tool available to ease the economic burden on working people and families while ensuring workers who cannot telecommute are provided with the best safety equipment and procedures possible. Click Here to sign the Oregon AFL-CIO petition.
- Sign and spread the word about this petition demanding that Amazon provide paid sick leave to its workers.
- From RAICES, a national immigrant rights group: petition to demand that ICE release immigrants at risk of coronavirus.
- Click Here to send a letter to the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and let them know that the U.S. needs to lift its deadly sanctions on Iran.
- The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic is impacting all Oregonians, regardless of their legal status. But while families are reeling, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents continue to target immigrant Oregonians for arrest, sending them to crowded detention centers described as “powder kegs” where doctors are concerned COVID-19 could “spread like wildfire.” Click Here to sign the petition to ICE in Oregon put the health and well-being of our communities at the forefront to mitigate the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic.
In the interest of building networks that support workers and sharing resources, here are some other useful links below:
Immigration Resources During COVID-19
Food, Unemployment, Homeschooling, and Other Resources